The main focus of MasterTek Utility Solutions is to contract with the owners of utility poles to locate, inspect, test, treat, and take inventory of every pole in their system. Our approach is to implement new devices such as the Resistograph® and our proprietory software which will make testing wooden poles more accurate than older methods, and the results of the test more easily accessible. In addition to getting more accurate test results with the Resistograph®, using our Pole Manager software will allow MTUS to deliver up to date results to our clients with built-in accountability. This allows the client to review the results on a daily basis.
UTILITY POLE INSPECTION
Our solution is to provide more detailed data, more accurate readings, with considerably
less damage to your infrastructure
Click photo for Video of IML Resistograph in Action
In Germany and all over the world the IML Resistograph® System
has been used for years to inspect utility poles.
This method is particuarly
useful in testing poles encased
in concrete or asphalt.
MasterTek Inspection Process
Using Resistograph® Technology and Customized Pole Manager Software
Visual Inspection Only
Criteria set by client
1. We approach pole and visually scan for any obvious defects
2. We GPS the location of pole
3. We list and record all attachments on the pole
4. We record all pertinent information branded into pole
(Date, manufacturer, height, class, wood type, original treat method, etc.)
5. We look for and record any liability, safety and maintenance issues.
6. We tag each pole
7. We photo every rejected pole or additional poles at clients request
Full Inspection Utilizing the Resistograph®
All elements of a visual inspection plus the following:
1. Marking a point at the base of the pole the first drill is made at
a tilted thirty degree angle, with a 3mm drill needle.
2. At a point ninety degrees from first drill a second drill is preformed
tilted at a thirty degree angle.
3. Using preset algorithms the pole is deemed Pass, Fail, or Service
and marked for Service or Replacement.
4. Pole is also measured for leaning issues.
5. Information is recorded and uploaded for review on MasterTek website.
Resistograph® Inspection Results
The Resistograph® data is transferred via Bluetooth to a hand held device where the findings can be evaluated by RUS or client standards and a treatment method can be determined. Graphs are uploaded with all other pole data gathered.
The Resistograph can detect the following:
• Shell rot or decay
• Heart rot or decay
• Deterioration by insects
Traditional Methods of Inspection
Sound and Prod
Pros: • Better than nothing
• Should detect the most obvious issues
Cons: • Very inaccurate method
• Subject to interpretation
• Preformed by untrained personal.
• Enhanced by outside distractions
• Work can be manipulated
Sound and Bore
Pros: • Most popular method
• Test below ground line
• Better than sound and prod
• Checks for heart rot
Cons: • Destroys part of pole with large hole from drill
• Forces excavation and expensive treatment
• Subject to human interpretation
• If not preformed correctly could cause more
harm than good
• Work and results can be manipulated
• Most expensive
Pros: • Better than just sounding and prodding.
• Does not leave a giant hole
• Non subjective test results
Cons: • Does not measure below ground line
• Not cost effective (expensive)
• Accuracy of test results
• Data collection problems
Pros: • Accurate test results above and
below the ground line
• Considerably less damage to pole
• Requires trained technicians
• All work accounted for
• Requires little oversight
• Fast and easy computerized data
collection and retrieval
• Test results are non subjective
• Work and results cannot be omitted
• More data on each pole, available online
• Very Cost-Effective
Cons: • People have to learn new technology
High tech inspect
Bad top exposed
Can't hide from the eye in the sky
Needle goes in at a 30 degree angle
3mm drill needle tip. Prevention of unnecessary wood damage: the sawdust remains in the tiny bore hole.
Needle going through pole
Simultaneous reading on drill.
Computerized Data Collection
Cavities and decay analyzed with the Resistograph® Technology.
Data uploaded to MasterTek website
Clients login to personal account to view all pole reports and data. Pole markers colored for Pass, Fail, Service or Abandoned.
Satellite view of poles
Each pole has a reference number.
Zoom into failed pole
Street view of failed pole
Individual pole data page
Shows decay and cavity data, plus pole inventory. Result of Pass, Service or Fail.
Pole data page
Shows maintenance issues, and treatment or other actions taken.
Graphing of Resistograph drill data
Shows obvious cavities.